Thursday, June 9, 2011

Another one of those days where I just feel so blessed and happy to be here in Uganda with kids running all over the place and doing things the hard, yet simple way.
Woke up this morning … a little late … and had Jackie help me wash my clothes. I had been putting it off for a while so I had a whole lot to wash and knew it was going to take forever. Plus, I’m terrible at washing clothes by hand. I had to hire help and she was so gracious and willing to help me. We started with 2 basins and ended with 6!! They don’t like to waste water, so when the rinsing basin becomes too soapy you fill another basin, when that one becomes too soapy you pour it in the one before it and so on. And between all my clothes and hers we had a number of basins and a lot of wringing and rinsing, wringing and hanging. I have blisters … enough said!
About ¾ of the way through I was summoned to house 8. Christina came and told me I was needed immediately. I couldn’t even finish my rinsing duties. What for? FOOD. I was hungry though so I wasn’t about to pass it up … Ugandan tea and chapatti. Two of my favorite things J Then of course an impromptu “sermon” from “Pastah Coopa” with “Deacon Josh” reading the scripture … hahaha. I was impressed … look out; Cooper may be a preacher by the time we return to the States with Josh his praying wingman.
After my afternoon tea and chapatti, I finished helping with the washing and headed down to play some Uno with some kids. I forgot how much I loved this game … we played for like 2 hours. Ended up just being me, Josh, Jason, and Sam around the table getting pretty competitive. Can’t forget the home made potato chips from Mama Grace!! So good … I will be asking her to make some more of those!
We walked to Mama Grace and Eva’s new house … only about a 5 minute walk from Agape. This is where she stays during the holidays when the kids who do have living relatives leave to visit with them. We hung out for a little bit … I played ball with Gideon … Mama Grace’s grandson and we watched the end of Ice Age on TV. Please just picture a room full of adults laying on the floor laughing. Only in Uganda.
I promised Jackie I would let her look through my nail polish and paint her toes. So when we got back I brought it out. Immediately there were about 10 kids painting their nails. Boys and girls!! I swear tomorrow the principal at the school is probably going to come looking for me. I obviously brought all the nail polish to share but, my idea was to have a girls night … movie, popcorn, paint nails. That’s not quite how it turned out but everyone had fun anyhow!
Finished off the night with dinner at House 8 … delicious rice and beans. Sometimes that’s all you need! And they make it taste so good!! And a good couple rounds of Uno with my Uno buddies in House 2.
I’m going to bed tonight feeling so blessed to be here and so satisfied. I really appreciate days like today. I can’t explain it … but I love not being in the US, living my normal rush about everywhere sort of lifestyle. It’s so nice to take it easy and just enjoy the company around you and having fun all day long.
You know what else I love. The way in which people here praise God ALL DAY LONG and you can tell they really mean it. I am still in awe when I go to one of the houses for praise and worship with them before dinnertime. Even the youngest kids are sitting there with their eyes closed looking up to heaven PRAISING God for all he has done for them, is doing for them, and they trust will continue doing for them. There are three kids in particular that literally made me cry one night. Rita, Richard, and Gloria … they are all between 4-8 years old I think. They were singing a song about the Lord being their everything, providing for their every need and they were singing their hearts out … they were giving it absolutely ALL they had. I picture them in my head every time I pray and thank God for the things he has given me and blessed me with each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment