Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Since the beginning of the summer I’ve frequently had these “I can’t believe I’m really in Africa” pinch me moments. While I’ve been here in Kaihura my main role has been working down at Home Again, the orphanage. Almost every morning as I walk down the hill I am greeted by children running to the door shouting and waving at me … it makes my heart smile each and every time. The other day I was having a hard day, all the kids were screaming and crying, spitting and hitting and I was stressed out to say the least. I decided it was time to go outside … I didn’t care if it was muddy. As I was sitting on the swing, swinging with Bridget in my lap, I was looking around and I couldn’t help but feel so blessed and so happy to be right there … scream crying children and all. I had one of those moments where I couldn’t stop smiling and thanking God for giving me this opportunity. I was brought back really quick as one of the children on the monkey bars spit and missed the kid he was aiming for and it hit me instead. I laughed … is that bad?
These moments also come all the time while I’m walking to and from the trading center, or Home Again, or the clinic. For some reason as I’m walking I always find myself talking to God, wondering how I got so lucky to be wind up in this little village in Uganda surrounded by the most amazing people I’ve ever met. They are so warm and so welcoming and love me just the way I am.
I know one of my favorite memories from this trip with be my talks with Faith. Almost every night after dinner and a shower I head over to her room or sometimes she’ll come over to my room and lay on an empty bed and we just sit and talk. I love it!! We talk about anything and everything. How I ended up here, why I came back, what my church at home is like, how the day was, stories about the children, how are my family and friends (especially Hannah … Faith misses you … you need to learn to answer your phone … I know you’re working but COME ONNN!! Hahah). I’ll miss this for sure. Faith is so easy to talk to and so funny but she doesn’t even notice it and I always leave feeling a little bit wiser.
“Were in Africa” … For the 4th of July we were invited to a party in Fort Portal. There is an American family that has been living there for 15 years. We went with the Sasser’s, the American family living here in Kaihura who have been so great to us!! We met several other Americans, some also living in Uganda, some summer interns, etc. It was a lot of fun and great to hear what everyone was doing here in Uganda. On the way there, Karin (from CA who doesn’t listen to country music) made a statement about how she never would have thought she would be on the way to a 4th of July celebration, listening to country music, in Uganda.
This past weekend I went to Kampala with the Sasser’s to drop Karin off at the airport (and to go shopping and stay at a hotel with a real shower … ulterior motive … not important!) After driving all morning, shopping all afternoon for fabric and batting for the craft shop, and searching for the perfect gifts at the craft market we made our way to Fang Fang Chinese Restaurant. We sat on the little rooftop terrace, told the waiter to have the table of men behind the bushes to stop staring at us and ate some of the best Chinese food I’ve had. Then what did we do … went to the movie theatre and watched Transformers 3 … front row! “Am I really in Uganda?”
HA, yes I am. I may have taken 2 hot showers in less than 12 hours just because I could but I was certainly still in Uganda. I feel like I truly completed the full African experience by riding the Kalita bus home from Kampala. Chris boda-ed with me to the bus park … made sure I got a ticket and got on the correct bus and told me to make sure I told the person checking tickets that I needed to get off in Kaihura. I got on the bus and waited … and waited. An hour later, no joke, my shirt soaking with sweat we were finally off. I was in the backseat with 7 other people and as we approach Kyenjojo, 3.5 hours later the lady next to me decides it would be a good time to start throwing up. Thankfully into a bag. I gave her my water, she drank some and then tried to give it back … I politely refused.
I have a little less than 2 weeks left here. I don’t know where the summer went but it FLEW by … I am not and don’t think I ever will be ready to come home. I mean really, this morning I woke up and opened the curtains to find a cow staring at me. We made eye contact … it was as if he was saying good morning before he went on his way grazing!
I don’t know how I got so lucky to be blessed with this opportunity but I am forever grateful to everyone who has been praying for all of us back at home. I have learned so much this summer and can only continue to wait and see what God surprises me with next. His timing and plans for my life are nothing less than perfect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment