Thursday, May 26, 2011

Before I left for Uganda I had a whole bunch of friendship bracelets given to me from various people to give out to children.
Back in December my friend Hannah and I decided we wanted to do something for Christmas for all the children we met in Kaihura last year on our trip to Uganda. So with our Leader’s Club kids at the YMCA we came up with the idea to send handwritten letters and friendship bracelets to them for Christmas. It was something small but meaningful. Our leader’s club kids wrote some of the sweetest letters of hope and encouragement to the children in Uganda and we all worked to make close to 100 bracelets to include in the letters.
One of my friends Nicole, also an advisor in Leader’s Club, posted a blog on her website about what we were doing. Who knew it would spark such interest among those that follow her blog. She had several people reach out to her from across the world asking if they could contribute and also make bracelets to send to the kids.
This is where the idea began. I wanted to have something that I could give to children I met while I am here. I obviously can’t afford to give them all money or food but thought it would be great to give them something that someone took time to make by hand to show how much we care about and love each and every one of them.
This past Tuesday while we were visiting New Hope Christian Academy in Apach I had the perfect opportunity to give out friendship bracelets. We were visiting the kids at their school and we had them get in a big circle and we (Lillian, Jason, Josh, and I) tied a bracelet on the wrist of each child. It made my day seeing some of their faces light up and I hope it made theirs too!
*Special thanks to EVERYONE who contributed bracelets … everyone from Nicole’s blog, the kids in Mr. D’s middle school classes, etc!*




1 comment: