Friday, May 6, 2011

Since I’m leaving for my trip in only 9 days I wanted to get a blog started that I can hopefully use to update yall with while I’m away. I want to share a little bit with everyone who is supporting me and praying for me and for this trip about why going back to Africa means so so so much to me. I’ve never been much of a writer; it is certainly not my forte! It’s also extremely difficult for me to put into words and explain how much this trip changed me and how much it means to me but it is something I have become very passionate about and I want to be able to share my experiences and my stories … so bear with me!
I had the opportunity to travel to Uganda last June (2010). I was part of a team through an organization called Embrace Uganda based out of Wake Forest, NC.
Ever since high school I always said one day I would go to Africa and work with orphaned children. Most people I told thought I lost my mind and would ask me why there of all places, why not somewhere safer and with less disease. I didn’t care. I was going to Africa whether everyone liked it or not. So fast forward to my senior year at Meredith College. I was sitting in Dr. Tippett’s CORE 404 class listening to a presentation about a group of people who travelled to Uganda and stayed at an orphanage. I was literally in tears in the back of the class as they talked about their trip and told the stories of the children they met. This was my chance, this was God laying it out in front of me … for a few weeks prior I had been looking into African mission trips but hadn’t found quite the right one. I immediately went home and as soon as my dad got home from work I asked him what he thought about me going to Africa. Parents on board: CHECK! Next step: Convince my best friend Hannah to come with me. Easy, don’t tell her any of the details about the length of the airplane ride, spiders, latrines, etc. of course she would say yes J
The two weeks that I spent in Uganda (even if you think 2 weeks sounds short) have made such an impact on my life and have changed me in so many ways. We worked and stayed right alongside the orphans in a village called Kaihura. Many mission trips allow volunteers to come in during the day, visit with the children, carry out tasks, and then leave for the night. During my time in Uganda I really got to experience the day to day lives of these children by being with them every single second of every single day, going through daily routines with them instead of just observing from a distance. It was so incredible to see these beautiful children and how happy they are, the faith they have, and the openness of their hearts, regardless of their personal circumstances. They have been left orphaned because one or both of their parents have died from AIDS or other illnesses, were abandoned and left to fend for themselves, or were so badly abused they may not have survived without coming to the orphanage. Each of the children I met has a story, most that break my heart and bring me to tears; however, despite what these children have gone through already in their young lives they are still the most loving and giving people I have ever met in my life.
One of the most rewarding parts of my trip was being able to just love on these children and put a smile on their beautiful faces. Something I really came away with was that regardless of any communication barrier, fear of a different race, or any other circumstances that may hold a person back; everyone deserves to be loved and cared for and to feel a sense of worth. This is something I was able to provide for these children. It was the small gestures that meant the most to them. Something as simple as asking a child’s name and remembering it when you greeted them meant the world to them. They just want somebody to know their name, get to know them, and love them. Simply hugging or holding a child and telling them that they are loved could make their day. That is something we take for granted, these children don’t have somebody to tell them “I love you” every day or to hold them when they are upset and need a shoulder to cry on or are feeling sick.
We don’t need to speak each other’s language, have the same color skin, or share the same values or opinions to understand the feelings being shared here. It doesn’t matter a person’s background or current situation; they still deserve the same love and respect as the next person.
From the first day we arrived at the orphanage, and we trekked the mile uphill to the Dorcas Vocational School where we would be living with the girls for the next two weeks, there was one girl in particular named Joyce who I immediately felt a connection with (one of my favorite sayings from the 2 weeks but so true “It’s a God thing”). She was one of the 10 girls in the room Hannah and I were staying in. She didn’t speak any English but wanted so badly to communicate with us and be near us all the time. It must have been on our 2nd night there during praise and worship, Joyce began feeling really sick. She was just lying in her bed moaning and trying to throw up. Everyone kept telling us she was fine and they just sort of ignored her. But I couldn’t just sit there and listen to this poor little girl moan anymore … I got up and was rubbing her back, trying to comfort her and let her know I was there. We got her some medicine for her stomach but she continued to be in pain all night. The next night during praise and worship she took me by the hand and we walked outside … she hugged me and we both broke down crying. We sat down and cried together for nearly 15 minutes. We were each praying but of course we couldn’t understand each other’s words, regardless, it was clearly a special moment we shared with each other. I asked her if we could find Pastor Patrick after praise and worship was over so he could translate for us and I could hear her story. When we went back inside Pastor Patrick happened to be talking to the group … he asked if there was anyone who felt to come forward and share their testimony. Joyce hesitated but eventually got up and began sharing her story (Again, it was a God thing!) I found out that night how Joyce had come to live at the orphanage. Her mother passed away and her father left her one day to fend for herself and did not return. After travelling hours by foot in search of her father, Joyce wound up on a bus and was brought to the orphanage. She is only 11 years old.
Like I said, each of the children I met has a story and all they want is for someone to love them and know who they are. I began building relationships with so many of these kids, not just Joyce, and I think about each and every one of them every day. I absolutely cannot wait until I get to see their faces again and hug them and love them.
Those children absolutely stole a piece of my heart in the short time I got to spend with them. And in so many ways they taught me so much more than I could ever hope to teach them. I know my time in Uganda was 100% orchestrated by God. The people I met, both Africans and my American team members (specifically the “London Crew” … you know who you are!) led me to renew my faith in God and really taught me what it means to love the Lord with all my heart. I cannot wait to be back in Uganda spending time with these kids and showing them the love that not only I have for them but the love of their Father in Heaven!
Thank you Thank you Thank you to ALL of you that are helping support me this summer. Again, hopefully I will be able to use this blog to keep yall updated on things happening in Uganda while I’m away. If not check out the Embrace Uganda website (www.embraceuganda.org) and things may get posted there!
LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment